Frozen treats are a fun, delicious way to beat the summer heat. But can cats eat popsicles? Popsicles designed for people are not healthy or even appealing to most cats. Enter the Catsicle. These simple, DIY cat popsicles are designed with your kitty (and your cat's nutrition) in mind.
While he may or may not choose to eat them (as cats are notoriously picky), you can at least rest assured that you tried to make his summer awesome. Here's Amber's recipe and her catsicle guinea pig, Penny.
Recipe for Amber's Healthy Homemade Catsicles (Cat Popsicles)
What you’ll need:
- 1 can of wet cat food (Pate works best)
- The same amount of Primal Raw Goat Milk (available at Homes Alive physical locations), or Honest Kitchen Goat's Milk.
- Small cat treats
- Ice cube trays (for catsicle moulds)
1. Dump the full can of wet food into a bowl. Or, try canned tripe instead for another healthy substitute.
Penny already wants a taste test.
How does it look, Penny?
3. Spray the ice cube tray with cooking spray for easy removal.
4. Spoon or pour mixture into the ice cube tray.
5. Add a cat treat. You can use almost any kind of treat; some examples are:
6. Put in freezer until fully frozen, about 2-3 hours.
7. Remove from ice cube tray and let your cat enjoy his treat! For best freshness, remove immediately from ice cube tray and place in a sealed freezer container or a Ziploc freezer bag.
Unfortunately, my cat didn't show any interest in these catsicles once I got them out of the freezer and tried to give her one. Maybe it was because the smell wasn't as strong when it was frozen? Or just cats?
Maybe my dog would enjoy these more... I'll try this Dogsicle recipe instead!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are DIY cat popsicles?
DIY cat popsicles are homemade frozen treats designed to provide a fun and refreshing snack for your furry friend. They are typically made using cat-safe ingredients and can be a great way to help your cat stay hydrated and entertained.
Are DIY cat popsicles safe for my cat?
Yes, DIY cat popsicles can be safe if made with cat-friendly ingredients. Use ingredients like chicken broth or tuna water to ensure your cat's safety.
How do I make DIY cat popsicles?
To make DIY cat popsicles, you can use an ice cube tray or specialized cat treat moulds. Simply pour a cat-safe liquid, like water or bone broth, into the moulds and freeze.
Can I use regular ice cubes for my cat?
While regular ice cubes are generally safe for cats to lick or play with, they may not provide the same level of enjoyment as flavourful DIY cat popsicles.
What flavours can I use for DIY cat popsicles?
You can use flavours that appeal to cats, such as bone broth, goat's milk or watered-down pate cat food. You can also use pureed cat-safe fruits and vegetables.
How often can I give my cat DIY popsicles?
DIY cat popsicles should be given as an occasional treat rather than a regular part of your cat's diet.