Too many pet food companies offer cheap (and cheaply made) dog treats, packing them full of artificial flavours and preservatives, along with ingredients that are not good for your pet’s digestive system. We like to think these folks aren’t pet owners. The good news is, you don’t have to buy these terrible ‘treats’ for your pup.
To help guide your hand when shopping for great dog treats to buy for your four-legged friend, here’s a list of the top Canadian-made dog treats you can have confidence in.
The Top 10 Canadian-Made Dog Treats
1. ValuePack Bites Dog Treats
ValuePack Freeze-Dried Bites are about the best bang for your buck that you can get for dog treats. Where else can you get 1kg of freeze-dried Canadian-sourced beef liver for $39.99? This is a Homes Alive Pets exclusive brand, and what we have done is gone directly to the manufacturer to provide you with the best value on one of the most popular treat categories, freeze-dried. These treats are made and sourced right here in Canada, using only Canadian ingredients!
ValuePack Bites Benefits
- Amazing value
- Single ingredient treats (great for sensitive diets)
- No additives or preservatives
- Available in beef liver, chicken breast, pork liver, duck liver, and lamb liver
- Ideal for training
These specialty dog treats are the cat’s pyjamas for your pup. They’re made from ethically raised pork, straight from Albertan farms. Great for any dog, young or old, they’re extra tasty and soft, making them easy on the teeth and gut. Choose from Yorkshire Pork, Grass-fed lamb, and Free-run Duck. Yum, yum!
Acana Treat Benefits
- Soft texture
- Free of synthetic preservatives
- Simple, single animal protein (great for sensitive diets)
- Suitable for all life stages
Owned and operated by certified pet nutritionist/behaviourist/trainer, Paul Spindler, True Raw Choice is committed to providing natural, healthy treats from only the best sources across Canada. There are a number of dehydrated protein varieties to choose from including beef, chicken, duck, turkey, and lamb. Go ahead – spoil your dog, and feel good about it!
True Raw Choice Treat Benefits
- Certified Organic
This family of Canadian-made dog treats covers any and every craving your furry friend might have. From tough elk-antler chews, to flavourful crunchy biscuits and chewy bites, Nutrience is the all-star when it comes to dog treats.
Some great Nutrience dog treats are:
- Cabin Chews – Perfect for the mightiest chewer in your family (we mean your dog, of course), these durable elk-antler chews are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, glucosamine and calcium. They’re odour-free, grain-free, and are a great, long-lasting chew to keep your dog occupied for hours. They’re also a great oral-care treat!
- Freeze-Dried Treats – A superb freeze-dried treat filled with nutrients and all the flavours of the protein rainbow. Choose from salmon/cod/hake; beef/pork/lamb-liver; and chicken/duck mash-ups. Your dog will be packing in all that healthy protein, all while being lost in flavour-heaven.
Nutrience Treat Benefits
- High in Protein (Freeze-Dried treats)
- Great for oral health (Cabin Chews)
- High in essential nutrients
- Plenty of variety
In business since 2007, Puppy Love is a company proudly based out of Fort Macleod, Alberta. Their dedication to quality, locally-sourced ingredients, and high manufacturing standards has made them one of the very best quality dog treat suppliers in the country.
Their natural chews line up is mouthwatering (for your dog, of course) and includes varieties like chicken, turkey, elk liver, beef tendons, and bison backstraps.
Puppy Love Treat Benefits
- Source of real animal protein
- Zero artificial additives & preservatives
- Great for oral health
This fun and fresh brand brings a whole new level of energy to your dog’s treat time. Their tasty baked dog treats give your pup a host of health-conscious options to help remedy everything from stiff joints and stress, to itchiness and gas! Their unique and tasty herbal treat options include ingredients like peppermint/fennel/marshmallow/dandelion (to ease gas), along with other natural remedies like skullcap/chamomile/lemon balm (to ease stress).
Granville Island Pet Treat Benefits
- The natural ingredients and herbs offer gentle, plant-based remedies to minor health issues
- Created by pet nutritionists, medical herbalists, and holistic veterinarians
- Offers an immense variety of dog treat options
These mighty little treats are like a punch of flavour and nutrients for your little “wolf”. With flavours like duck, salmon/sardine, turkey, and pork, your pup is bound to feel as mighty as a wolf with all that protein.
My Mighty Wolf Treat Benefits
- Low calorie treats
- Soft and chewy texture
- Made in small batches to ensure quality and freshness
- Easy to digest
- Ideal for training
With over 30 years in the business, Darford knows what it takes to keep your four-legged friend at their healthiest. They craft simple, yet effective premium dog treats tailored to suit your dog’s unique flavour and health needs. They’re baked to crunchy perfection and, with flavours like pumpkin, cheese, peanut, and salmon, they’ll have your pup begging for more.
Darford Biscuit Treat Benefits
- Bulk packed for extra value
- Grain-free options available
- Simple, natural ingredients
- Come in a wide variety of delicious flavours
- Crunchy texture that dogs love
- Available in large and small biscuits
Homegrown in beautiful British Columbia, Snack 21 dog treats are full of Canadian Pacific, wild-caught fish. Snack 21 is dedicated to pet-nutrition, and as such they don’t cut corners when it comes to the parts of the fish they put into their treats. They use only the best meat portions of the fish, ensuring the highest quality of product and flavour for your dog.
Snack 21 Treat Benefits
- 100% wild-caught Canadian Pacific fish
- Crafted in their in-house facility, located in Richmond, BC
- Delicious and nutritious fish protein
- Excellent for skin & coat health
- Rich in Omega 3 & Omega 6 fatty acids
Small batch and cooked to perfection, these tasty morsels are handcrafted to the unique flavour preferences of dogs everywhere. Kettle Kraft is all about the slow cooking process, where they simmer their treats for hours, soaking in the flavour, and ensuring your dog will salivate over every bite. Their wholesome, locally-sourced ingredients include: venison, prairie chicken, Pacific wild-caught salmon, and (our personal favourite) Okanagan apples. Mmm, mm, good.
Kettle Craft Treat Benefits
- Slow cooked, and simmered for hours ensuring delicious flavour
- Soft chewy texture is easy on sensitive teeth
Your Dog Deserves the Best
Homes Alive Pets is all about creating the very best life for your pet – and that means pointing our customers in the right direction as to the healthiest choices for your pet.
The ingredients that goes into their bodies, their fuel, needs to come from the healthiest, most trusted Canadian sources who are pet-owners themselves. That’s why we seek out the brands with the best quality ingredients, and the highest manufacturing standards to give your pup the highest health standards available.