Nothing beats the summer heat like a nice cool snack. Check out this DIY dog pupsicle recipe that is both healthy and delicious.
One of the best ways to cool down on a hot summer day is with a delicious frozen treat. But popsicles, ice cream, and all that is yummy and frozen are not healthy for your dog to have - at least not frequently.
Your dog will love these homemade popsicles (pupsicles!), and what's best is that they are simple to make and nutritious. While other dog cooling gear helps to cool your dog from the outside, a frozen snack can quickly cool them from the inside out.
Now your dog can keep cool with his own yummy treat, and you don't have to feel guilty about not sharing yours.
Have a cat? Check out our homemade popsicles for cats recipe instead.
Recipe for Zoey's Healthy Homemade Pupsicles (Dog Popsicles)
What you’ll need:
- 1 can of wet dog food (Pate works best)
- The same amount of Primal Raw Goat Milk (available at Homes Alive physical locations)
- Small rawhide stick for the "handle", or an alternative, such as natural dog chews
- Popsicle Moulds
1. Dump the full can of wet food into a bowl. Or, try one of these other healthy alternatives:
- Canned Tripe, such as PetKind Tripett, for the protein or other benefits of tripe for dogs.
- Canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling!) for sensitive stomachs, constipation, or diarrhea relief. Pumpkin can also help some dogs with coprophagia, but it must be fed to all dogs in the household.
2. Fill the empty can with goat milk, and mix that with the cat food until well-blended.
3. Spray the popsicle moulds with cooking spray for easy removal.
4. Spoon or pour the mixture into the ice cube tray.
5. Add the small rawhide stick or a healthy rawhide alternative for the handle. Some other ideas you might want to try are:
- Puppy Love Canadian Elk Liver
- Eldon's Little Tripe Casings
- Snack 21 Salmon Snacks
- Zoe Lifestyle Antioxidant Treat Sticks
6. Put in the freezer until fully frozen, about 2-3 hours.
7. Remove from the popsicle mould and let your dog enjoy his treat!